Monday 18 June 2007

A little wiser


Not a great deal going on recently, the lack of car and fairly dodgy weather hasn't been a great combination for getting out. It was my birthday on Friday so I went down South for the weekend. A mate of mine was having a birthday in some ridiculous, wannabe, pretentious 'scottish' bar called Albannach on Trafalgar square. I'm not sure what they've modelled it on, as it doesn't really resemble any bar in Scotland I've been to and looked more like an upmarket S&M dungeon crossed with Charley from Big Brother (if that makes sense rather than sounding like a nightmarish fantasy). Having been told I was allowed to wear trainers I turned up in an (admittedly rather scruffy) pair, the bouncer took exception to them and wouldn't let me in. Normally this puts me off a place immediatley, as any bar with a dress-code is normally full of wankers. I wasn't wrong in this case, but I hadn't seen most of the people there for a while and it was my birthday so a bit of persuasion saw me inside. Luckily it was my birthday and I got bought loads of drinks, as you needed to take out a mortgage before going to the bar. Ayway it turned out to be a bit of giggle, especially as Jules (next to me below) was as wasted as usual, despite having to do a charity London-Brighton cycle ride (if you knew him you'd laugh) on Sunday. At least it was for the heart foundation, which I hope wasn't too appropriate...






Played golf with my dad on saturday down at Sandwich with a force 6 hangover (Large waves with foam crests and some spray. Large branches in motion. Whistling heard in overhead wires. Umbrella use becomes difficult) as opposed to a force 10 one which usually follows Subway (Very high waves. The sea surface is white and there is considerable tumbling. Visibility is reduced. Trees uprooted. Considerable structural damage.). Despite this I played remarkably well as did Dad and we halved on the 18th. Clearly the best preparation for golf is a skinful the night before and then half a bottle of Burgundy at lunch before starting.


Had an awesome roast on Sunday in the sun in the garden at home, which is looking really good this year so I thought I'd put up a couple of photo's. Managed to insure the new car this morning and going to pick it up tomorrow, unfortunatley the weather doesn't look like its going to play ball this week but you never know.



By all accounts Daft Punk at the Wireless Festival in London at the weekend were immense. I got a couple of excited texts from mates there telling me it was the best thing ever and allowing for hyperbole it looks pretty crazy. I've found 'Da Funk' on youtube (from Channel 4 not a shitty phone recording), its been turned into a bigger acid bomb than it was before and coupled with the crazy lights, fuck me... (Homework is the business)
ps Just got Northern Highlands South and as Dave Macleod says its absolutely brill. I've spent most of weekend dreaming of ice drooling down Fuar Tholl, tangoing in the night and thrutching up KamiKaze. hmmmm winter... (I can't help if it if summer's got its chastity belt on)

1 comment:

Gaz Marshall said...

Come on Loveday, update. I wanna know what you're up to on the sun kissed Scottish rock. Its certainly rain kissed down here. Big balls. But the esoteric bouldering is coming on a charm...